Sunday, July 6, 2008

It's about time

First off, we had a fun 4th. We got together with my family and had dinner while the kids ran around with a frisbee and played with Papa. We played some games, did some smoke bombs, and sparklers, and then planned on going to see some big fireworks at the park. Emma didn't really enjoy the sparklers that much. She was very timid around them. Last year she loved the fireworks we saw, so I don't really know what happened. Maybe it was just the close proximity. I don't know what it was, but something really upset her and she started to cry. We took her inside, she calmed down, and said she didn't want to go see the fireworks. So, we stayed with her while everyone else went. She had fun with us, but was getting really tired and said she wanted to go to sleep. So, we put her to bed, and then enjoyed fireworks with my family after they got back from the park. It was surprising to me about Emma, because if you know Eric or me, you know that we are both Pyros who love fire and fireworks and explosions etc. I'm sure she'll come around. =) The next day we went shopping with my sister and then went swimming at her place. Emma loved it!!!



Now, back to the main point of this post...Emma is finally potty trained. I know I know, some of you are probably thinking "it's about time!" Some of you (Kathy) know what's been going on and some of what I went through already with Emma. I don't remember if I've mentioned on the blog why it's taken so long, so sorry if this is all a repeat. We started potty training last fall, mostly because Emma was showing signs of being ready for it. Well, things started happening that were going to make it hard (mostly on me) to continue right then. I went to Phoenix for a while, and then the Christmas holidays came, and I wasn't going to be home very long with all the shopping and family dinners and get togethers, so I decided to wait until after New Year's. Then we needed to start packing and getting ready for our move, we were out of town for a week here and there, and then actually moving and then getting settled in our new place. Breathe. Okay, then I went to California, and actually started training her there. There were hardwood floors, so I was going to do the method where Emma would wear panties and have accidents, but I would sit her on the potty every 20 minutes. The plan was that after a few days she would start recognizing when she needed to go and we would see fewer messes. Well, after about 2 days of that, during which she never once "went" in the potty, and with everything else that was going on I decided to just wait until I got home. I thought it would be easier for her in a more familiar environment. After we got home I was just plain lazy for a few weeks before we actually started with her. And here I didn't expect it to go very quickly because I was having her wear pull up diapers rather than panties because I didn't want her peeing all over Peggy's carpets! After about one week, she seemed to just get it all of a sudden. Ever since last Wednesday, she has made it in the potty everytime, telling us when she needs to go. It happened overnight. I'm so happy I could cry. For those of you who have experienced this you'll understand my joy. Yeahhhhh!!! So you may congratulate Emma if you see her...she has entered the world of panties and potty's.

3 comments:

Christy said...

Yay Emma! Is she staying dry at night too? I wish Matt would do that, but I have the feeling it's going to take a really long time.

I love the new green flower background, by the way. Where did you get that?

Holly said...

She's not staying completely dry at night yet. She still wears a diaper there. She will get up to go potty again before she falls asleep though. Baby steps.

I don't remember where I got the background - it was somewhere online for free, and was awhile ago. I could probably email you the file if you wanted it. Let me know.

Steph said...

I totally understand your joy! It happened for us about 2 months ago. One day, Tyler just decided he wanted to do it, so he did! Congrats, Emma, babe! I'm proud of you (and happy for your mom!).