Thursday, November 12, 2009

Taken by Surprise

I quite often find myself in a deep set routine. You know, the morning ritual, fairly similar breakfasts and lunches, the same activities with Emma, etc. And it's not bad, so this isn't a complaint of mine. It just makes the more unique things stand out. It makes the extra special meal or activity seem that much more special when it comes around, or whatever else we do that is somewhat out of the ordinary.

My favorite thing about Emma (and I'm sure this goes for all kids) is that no matter what is going on around her she always seems fresh and new to me. She is constantly changing. And she surprises me all the time with things she'll say or do. I just love it! I'm sure this is just part of being a kid and growing up, but it's amazing to observe it and be there for her journey.

The most recent thing she said to me that took me by surprise was a word I didn't know she knew. As it's not in my daily vocabulary I'm not sure where she learned it. She came up to me and said, "I have a hypothesis; an idea you can test." She proceeded to tell me her idea, but I couldn't get over her having said that to me. I was so thoroughly amused by it and am still smiling a couple days later because of it.

You'll excuse my bias, but Emma's the best! I just love everything about her and don't know what I ever did to deserve her. And this is just a silly little thing, but that's what I love about her. There are so many cute or silly endearing things about her. She really is my greatest treasure.

1 comment:

Cara said...

I love that she even defined her new word for you. How cute. :)