One of Emma's strengths is her form. She works really hard at being crisp and deliberate with her movements. I love watching her do it. This performance won her first place! I should add that at the end of the video Emma just stands there for several seconds. This is because the form ends at this point, but Emma forgot to look at the judges to let them know she was done, so they weren't sure. It was kind of funny.
The new event for this tournament for her was creative weapons. This is where you create a routine that shows your skill with one of the weapons. She chose Ssahng Jeol Bongs (pronounced sahn-je-bons), but you probably know them as nunchucks. Since taekwondo is Korean in origin, they use the Korean names for their weapons. Anyway, she worked on creating her routine, and then performed it almost flawlessly. And this performance won her first place in this event too!
Her final event was the sparring. She easily made it past the first round, almost sweeping her competitor. In this video Emma is the one with her back to the camera.
In the second round, she was unlucky in whom she was paired against. She was paired against a kid who lives for martial arts. He participates in just about every type there is, and is very good at all of them. She gave it her all, but in the end lost the round. Had she been better at her blocking, she probably would have won though. When Emma goes to kick her opponent, her arms and hands often move to the side instead of staying in front of her continuing to block attacks. Her opponent was able to very quickly get punches in barely before Emma's kicks made contact, which means he won the point. We've told Emma she does this (forgets to block while kicking), but I think experiencing it and seeing the video from the tournament will help her realize even more she's doing it. She plans to work on this. In a way I'm glad she lost the round and is now able to see this, because I think in the long run it'll help her improve more. So in that sense, maybe she wasn't unlucky in being paired against this kid. She ended up winning third place in the sparring. I think she was just happy still getting a medal for it. In this video she is the one facing the camera. And if you pause it right at the 1:52 / 1:53 second mark, you'll be able to see the final point scored against her, but a good example of how her opponent snuck a punch in barely before she kicked him. You'll see her hands out to the sides.
As I said, I'm so glad that Emma has a good attitude about these competitions. I'm glad she has a chance to lose too. I think it's character building for kids to need to strive for excellence rather than always being handed an award or trophy just for participating.
Here she is receiving her medals from the judges. Afterwards she just couldn't keep the smile off her face. She was so proud of herself.
On our way home we ran a couple errands. We went into the first store and not two seconds after we entered Emma professed that "It's really hot in here. I think I'll unzip my coat." She only wanted to show off her three medals she was still wearing. I think it's hilarious that she was obviously planning to unzip her coat and show off, but tried to make it seem so nonchalant. I love my silly girl!
On our way home we ran a couple errands. We went into the first store and not two seconds after we entered Emma professed that "It's really hot in here. I think I'll unzip my coat." She only wanted to show off her three medals she was still wearing. I think it's hilarious that she was obviously planning to unzip her coat and show off, but tried to make it seem so nonchalant. I love my silly girl!


1 comment:
Good job Emma! She is always so focused and so clean with her work. I love that she is still loving the sport. As usual we skipped the tourney, but thanks for letting us visit it virtually.
Post a Comment