Friday, July 25, 2014

Summer Sports

One of the great things about our school district is the summer programs they offer.  The main one they do is swimming.  We tried it a couple years ago and didn't much care for it, so we don't do it with them anymore.  Plus the swimming is so crowded and fills up so fast and it's difficult to get a spot.  This might be because it's free.  Who knows?  There are many other sports programs that are offered though, and this summer since we'd be mostly in town the whole time, we decided to try some of them.  We asked Emma about it and she said baseball would be fun, so I signed her up.  While I was there I signed her up for tennis and soccer too.  Why not?  I told Emma if she didn't like them she didn't have to go after the first class.  Since the programs are free we wouldn't be out any money, and the way they run the programs made it so Emma not showing up wouldn't ruin the class for anyone else or prevent anyone else from signing up and taking the class themselves.  They do it all on a punch card system.  You are given a punch card for each sport and you may attend six times.  There are several locations and days and times each week for each sport, so it makes it easy to make up class if you are sick or out of town or if there's bad weather.  And it was easy for us ensure she didn't go to all of them on the same day.  Usually all three were on different days.  A couple times we doubled up, but it still worked out great.

Emma has loved all three that she's done.  Her favorite is baseball, but she really likes tennis and has enjoyed soccer.  I don't think she'll do all three again next summer, but probably baseball and tennis.  She's been keeping up with her taekwondo this summer too, so she's been very busy with all of this.  I love seeing how hard she works though and I love seeing her get a good sweat from working out.  She is such a strong girl.

Here are just a few pictures I finally remembered to take on her last day.  She did both tennis and baseball that day.  And I forgot to bring my camera to soccer, so no soccer pictures.  Oh well.

 photo IMG_2594.jpg

 photo IMG_2599.jpg

 photo IMG_2625.jpg

 photo IMG_2627.jpg

 photo 8df4086c-5670-4300-b5fb-c456fb967847.jpg

1 comment:

Jill said...

No soccer pictures!?!? Um, I'm never reading your blog again!!! Just kidding :) No, that's insane that you can take so many sports FOR FREE!! Wish we had that here. Emma seems like she'd be a good tennis star, I can picture that. She's so great at everything she does. Glad she likes baseball too. It's great she can try out so many things without the financial burden or feeling like she's letting others down if she doesn't like it. Has she tried frolf? (Frisbee gold) She totally should.