Sunday, December 14, 2008

Adventskrantz

One of the many many many many many things I loved about Christmas in Austria (seriously- no one does Christmas as well as Austrians and Germans- why do you think so many of our traditions here in America come from them? - they just can't be beat) was the Adventskrantz or Advents Wreath. They would have a wreath laying on a table with 4 candles placed along it. On each of the four sundays prior to Christmas they would light the candle / candles corrosponding to that sunday. So on the first sunday they would light one candle, on the second 2 candles, etc. And each time they did this they said a little poem. Here is a rough translation of the poem:

Advent, advent a small light burns

First one, then two, then three, then four

Then the Christchild is at your door.

A better translation of the last line would be that "now the Christchild has arrived" but this way at least it ryhmes a little. It sounds much better in German, trust me. There is a lot of symbolism to the Adventskrantz, but my favorite is true of all wreaths. The round image reminds us that Advent is a time to look both forwards and backwards, remembering the two comings of the Savior.

I just always liked anticipating the birth of the Savior rather than Santa Claus. I made my own Adventskrantz (the picture is not mine, but one I found online - computer woes, remember?) our first Christmas we were married, and do this every year with Eric and Emma. It's just another nice reminder of the real meaning of the season.

1 comment:

Marsh Mayhem said...

We've got ours up! It's not as fancy as that one ... I can barely get my darn candles to stay on the wreath! But it's out and beautiful, if I do say so myself. However, we're all kerflummoxed because the five Sundays in Nov threw off the Sundays before Christmas in December ... we went from lighting one to three, just to make it up!!