Monday, March 21, 2011

Company & Spring Break

We recently had some family come visit us. Dave, Janna & Ethan came to cool off from some of their Arizona heat. Our weather was wonderful while they were here. It was so much fun seeing them and spending some time with them. It's been a while since Eric and Dave were able to spend that much time together - and it was fun seeing them get to talk and hang out. Meanwhile, the kids had a blast (they were laughing so much!), and Janna and I had fun like we always do.

Our first day together we started off in Milwaukee. It was Emma's last day in school before spring break, so it was just the 5 of us. We had a delicious breakfast and then went to the Milwaukee Art Museum. I could have spent quite a bit more time there. It was fun looking around, and especially interesting to see the Frank Lloyd Wright exhibit. I was very impressed and amazed at his artistry in even his early sketches.
That night we ate at the Brat Stop (we love that place) and then headed off for some shopping. It was nice just being out and walking off our dinner. The kids had fun too, mostly making faces at each other and us!
The next day we took the kids to the Jelly Belly Distribution Center so they could go on the tour and see the store. And amazingly enough, they were like 2 kids in a candy store!
Eric and Dave enjoyed playing the Wii together almost as much as Janna and I enjoyed the cheese isle at the grocery store. That place never gets old to me. And yes, the choirs were still singing there.
We just relaxed at home the next day after an enjoyable morning at church, and filled our time playing games.

On Monday we were off to Chicago. The kids LOVED riding the train and traveling around on the el and the subway all day. It was wonderful exploring the city together. And what's Chicago without trying some of their famous pizza?!! Now that is an experience!
Since it was a little cold we decided to get some hot chocolate at the Ghirardelli store (which I'm still dreaming about - oh. my. yum!) before heading off to Michigan Avenue for some shopping. I think the kids' favorite stop was the Lego store, complete with lego people out in the mall.
For the return trip the kids and the boys decided to ride upstairs on the train, while Janna and I stayed below. It was a long day, but oh so much fun!
The next day we all (sans Eric) drove down to Cincinnati. It worked out perfectly for all of us for Emma and me to accompany them down there for a couple days. I love this picture of the back seat of the car. The kids were being pretty good together for the drive. Even Dave was behaving. =)
Emma decided to have fun posing for the camera before, during, and after having her nails done. Not really sure what she was thinking in all these, but I love the pics!
On St. Patrick's Day we all went to a rather unique grocery store north of the city. It was a very entertaining store, with singing soup cans, cereal box characters, an Elvis lion, and safari animal statues outside. Weird, but good weird.
That morning Emma and I went and did a little exploring along the Kentucky side of the Ohio River. I loved this bridge, and couldn't get enough pictures of it from below or on it as we walked around. And again, Emma was a little poser for the camera, and I naturally couldn't resist.
Emma and I drove home the next day, so we could be back for school to start the next week. It was so much fun having them here visiting us. I wish them well as they finish up in Cincinnati and return home later this week. We love you guys, and you're welcome any time!

2 comments:

Jill said...

Holy Moly....where to start! First off, Emma is the cutest kid ever! (maybe tied with Eliza). She is seriously a little model. That grocery store with singing things...weird but totally awesome. And that pizza is incredible! I've never seen pizza that thick before. We'll have to try some when we come visit. Thanks for posting this!

Jen said...

Wow, just a few months here, and you've already found all the cool places to go and eat! I wish I knew as much as you so early in the game...haha. I LOVE Gino's East (I'm assuming that's where you had pizza). I can't seem to find anyone else around here who likes it. Maybe we should go there together some time. Legoland is a blast, and we'll definitely have to try to go there one more time before we move.

P.S. If you haven't already, you must visit Tenuta's Deli. It's not just a deli but also an Italian grocery. I could spend hours there looking through the cheeses, candies, spices, and so much more.