Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Visiting Family & Friends

Last month Emma and I went to Utah to visit my family.  Going from seeing them practically every week to not seeing them at all for 6 months has been hard.  We miss them terribly.  We're not used to being away!  Emma missed playing with her cousins and I missed snuggling little babies.  So, we went for a visit.

Since we've been gone there has been a new addition to the family.  Meet Paul.  He is such a mellow little guy!  It was so great meeting him.
Us being there also allowed us to get all the grandkids in one picture.   With all of them being so squirmy and hyper, and having 2 babies in the mix, this was about as good a shot as we could get of them!
We went to the zoo with everyone, and it was fun to see the dinosaurs they've added since we were there last summer.  A couple of them even spray water on you.  Timothy and Emma were showing off being wet.
My brother and sister-in-law hosted a BBQ while we were there too.  The kids had so much fun playing again!  I was lucky and got to hold both little babies during the evening.  Can you tell I was not the intended subject of either picture?  =)
When we weren't out and about with everyone, Emma spent some time playing with some old toys from when I was little.  I love these playskool toys and am so glad my mom kept them in such great condition for so long so Emma can play with them now.  She loves them!
We went down to Temple Square with my sister and niece to enjoy the grounds and the museum.  I couldn't help but take a few pictures.
Eliza was just giggling at Emma here.
The flowers were just gorgeous as usual!
This picture makes me laugh.  It looks like a Mormon Ad that would have a caption like "Families can be together forever."  It just seems really cheesy!
 We also went up the canyon.  We have missed the mountains so much since moving.  There is just no substitute for them.  It looks like Emma will be like her dad and enjoy getting her feet wet in cold mountain streams.
On the 4th of July I had fun painting little flags on Emma's nails.  The lighting was really bad and this is the best shot I could get of them before Emma ran outside to play.  I did manage to get a picture of her with Paul later in the evening.
 And Emma loves fireworks.  She could hardly wait!  I think they were the highlight of the day for her.
Emma enjoyed going on sleepovers to both her cousins house and to my sisters house.  Here she is being silly with her uncle Brad.
We were fortunate to see my sister and niece Eliza almost every day we were there.  Eliza was fascinated with Emma.  She would just stare at her and smile and laugh.  And Emma loved trying to entertain Eliza.  They just hit it off.  Here is an ADORABLE video my sister shot of Eliza laughing at Jill and Emma.  They were throwing some angry birds and some little stuffed pigs while making the appropriate sound effects, and Eliza just couldn't get enough!  LOVE IT!
We also went swimming with Jill and Brad for Eliza's first time in the pool.  Eliza was a natural!  She's definitely going to be a swimmer!  Her little arms knew exactly what to do!
One big surprise was that Eric was able to come for the 4th of July weekend!!  He has stayed home to work because we were gone for so long.  And as a surprise didn't tell anyone he was coming to Salt Lake on business for a couple days.  He was then able to take a day off and extend his trip through the weekend.  It was so much fun having him there with us for the holiday, and for him to also be able to meet his new nephew and see everyone again.  We even had time for a ping-pong tournament.
 It's hard to believe how much we packed in while we were there.  I was able to get together with so many of my friends for lunches, picnics, play dates at parks, dinners - it was awesome seeing everyone!

We had so much fun visiting, even if we did get a little sick for part of it!  Thanks so much to my parents for putting us up while we were there.  It was so good to see everyone.  Emma was heartbroken to leave to come home.  I've never seen her cry like that before when saying goodbye.  It was definitely sad.  She bounced back though as soon as we got home, but I know she misses everyone.  I am so blessed with such wonderful friends and family.  Thank you all for being so great!!

2 comments:

Jill said...

I'm glad I'm the source if so much "cheesiness"! Although I agree with you about that Mormon ad photo. We miss you guys too. Brad misses beating Eric in pong pong:)
And no one can entertain Eliza like Emma can!

Seth and Julie said...

What a fun trip and what great pictures. I like the Mormom ad one. How sweet. I wish I had a cute picture of me with one of my babies, so cheesy or not, it is a keeper. I also love those old Little People toys. I had them as a kid and don't know who threw them away or when but I have looked for them on ebay even because I think they are so much cooler than the updated ones, or maybe that is just nostalgia? Anyhow, FUN trip! I am sad to hear that Emma had such a hard time leaving. Luckily my kids were babies when we moved here so they have never lived near enough to family to know what they are missing. Hopefully you can get back to visit again soon!