Monday, March 12, 2012

A Fun Saturday

This last Saturday we had a full schedule.  But it was all fun.  The worst is a full schedule of things you're not looking forward to.  We went to the Civil War Museum to check it out.  We haven't been yet, and Saturday was their family fun day.  They had a couple extra activities for kids there.  Emma liked trying on the period dress (all of which was way too big for her!), and playing with the Legos.  They have a display of a couple Ironclad ships.  The kids were supposed to try to make their own ironclad ship out of the Legos.  I think Emma was the only one who attempted it.  Most of the kids were just building whatever they wanted to.  I think she did a pretty good job too.  (By the way, all the pictures on this post were taken with my small camera, which as you can tell, is old and feeble and doesn't quite do the job.  So I apologize for their poor quality).
The only girl outfit they had, and the skirt was tall enough it would've fit me!
I think she liked the Lincoln hat best.
My little soldier!
She was trying to be serious and non-smiley like everyone was in pictures back then.
The Lego display of the ironclad ships.




Emma's version of an ironclad ship.  She was building hers like the black one in the last picture, and even included the steam!
We then stopped by Andrea's gift shop to look around and to try Jack's Cafe inside.  It's a small cafe, but kind of quaint.  We shared a chocolate malt and a pineapple float.  Both were very delicious!


Next we went to the library.  They were having a Dr. Seuss day there.  I'm not sure why they didn't have it last weekend - that would have made more sense to me.  Oh well.  Emma tried on the Cat in the Hat's hat, and attempted to make her own.  They also had a project using pipe cleaners to make your own Cat in the Hat.  I don't know how they expected kids (especially little kids) to make these on their own.  It was kind of tricky.  I helped Emma with hers.  It turned out alright, but only being held together with glue I don't know how long it will last.  Oh well.  Not my problem.

I love spending time with my family.  Especially when we get to try new things.  Poor Eric was sick all last week with the flu and bronchitis, and is still feeling run down.  He's not contagious anymore, but just feels yucky.  He enjoyed just being able to enjoy the day, and I think it was good for him.  I know Emma had fun, and that's the most important thing.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Fun day. I haven't been to that museum since their opening. It wasn't completed yet so I do plan on going again sometime.
I really enjoy Andreas. It's a fun little store.
Funny but we went to the library on Saturday too... but I didn't realize they were doing anything fun that day and we went in the late afternoon because I didn't realize they closed at 5 on Saturdays. So, we got there right when they were closing. Oh well.

LeShel said...

I've wondered what the Lego ships looked like. Thanks for snapping a picture. I'm not sure we'll get down there. I'm feeling really selfish and want to check out the quilts at KPM but I'm not taking the boys with me. Just some time for the girl of the house.
Love the cat in the hat pipe cleaner thing. So cute.
Love all of Emma's smiles-grumps. She's such a cutie

Jill said...

I love her toothless grin! I'm not used to it yet. I can't believe all the fun things there are to do there! I swear SLC is so much more boring than where you live! Well, we can't wait to be there with you all and to spend time there with you. I feel like Emma is so much bigger now. I miss her.

Seth and Julie said...

I went to the Civil War Museum once and thought it was pretty dull but they didn't have any dress ups or legos to play with when I was there. I like the Cat in the Hat stuff but that pin does look a little advanced for a library craft. Looks like your busy Saturday truned out to be more fun than stressful so yay for that!