I love holidays, and I like trying to do fun things with Emma. Usually there are more things I would like to do than I actually accomplish, and this year was a definite bust. We scraped by each holiday doing the bare minimum it seems. Last year we were much better - week long celebrations of holidays and entire days filled with activities, but alas, this was not to be this year. Luckily I don't beat myself up for missing the mark. Actually, there is no mark for me. Each year my expectations are a little different. And this year the expectations became very low as the month progressed. I don't even have pictures of most things we did. Meh.
We had a lot of sickness in our home this month. Usually it was Emma, and except for one longer bout with illness (which I'll mention later), it was typically a one day thing. And almost always on the weekend, either Saturday or Sunday. I feel like I was hardly at church this month! But sickness always changes your plans.
We don't usually have much time during the week between Emma's late school release time, homework, her taekwondo, Eric's meetings, and my meetings (I know all of you understand this - regular life is just so busy!), but this month we had several additional activities that were added to the calendar. I'm not complaining mind you. We choose to do most of the extras we do. We agree to do what is needed for our church callings. And most of the things we do are enjoyable, so it's not really a complaint. More of a sigh or a phew kind of feeling after it's over when it all piles up like it did this month and we've come out the other end having survived.
Emma had a music program at school and sang Disney songs. It has been really fun listening to her sing Candle on the Water (her favorite that they learned) around the house. Emma also had another belt test for taekwondo (which she passed, earning her purple belt). It is always fun to see her learning and growing and enjoying school and sports.
![]() |
| Emma at her school music program |
![]() |
| Emma prior to her belt test |
Doing her form, which is just a series of kicks, punches, etc. She is in the front on the left. There was no time requirement for this. It didn't matter if you were fast or slow. Some kids race through it, but Emma likes being very deliberate with her moves and tries to be exact, so she enjoys taking her time.
This is the sparring. There were several pairs sparring at a time.
This is Eric's favorite thing to watch Emma do.
This month was peppered with church things. There were several conferences this month (stake, ward, a women's conference at our stake center), I helped at a youth activity, and we had a Relief Society activity. The RS activity was our birthday celebration, and it went really well. There were several tables set up representing the different months of the year, and decorated fun as if for a party for that month. People signed up to decorate the tables, providing everything for it (tablecloth, plates, cups, etc, centerpiece, and a cake). I signed up for November. I realized that I've never been able to decorate a Thanksgiving table before. Not really nice anyway. Most years we have been with family or friends, and haven't even been home. And when we have been home, it's just been the three of us, so I haven't gone to great lengths for the tablescape. It was fun creating my table, and I really like how it turned out.
![]() |
| I had fun making these paper pumpkins that I placed on each plate. |
![]() |
| Here's how my table turned out |
![]() |
| Emma asleep on the couch while feeling sick |
This is one of the dress rehearsals for the lip dub. The sound isn't great, especially at the beginning, but it was mostly just a walkthrough. The filming is even being done by someone else than the final one. BUT this version has Emma in it! Which is why I wanted it. Her part starts at 1:33. The lines she is lip-syncing are: "There's nothing I can't achieve because in myself I believe in. Oh"
The final lip dub by her school. Emma's part would have started at 1:24. You can see they didn't replace her with anyone else. It turned out really cute I think. I just wish Emma hadn't been sick so she could have been a part of it.
Easter. Emma was feeling better for Easter, but I hadn't left the house all week to get anything. The Easter Bunny managed to come, and we did an egg hunt for Emma. There were puzzle pieces in each egg and the only way she'd know if she'd found all the eggs was if she could complete the puzzle. She had a lot of fun doing it. We didn't do ham, but decided to stick with pig as our meat source, and had pork schnitzel with spaetzle and veggies. It was fabulous! But again, no pictures. Suffice it to say, Emma looked just great in her new dress.
We are getting excited for the Brewers season this year. Emma had so much fun at the one game we managed to get to last year. We plan on attending several more this year (fingers crossed!). We watched the opening day game and were thrilled with their victory against the Rockies.
April Fools day is usually one we try to really play up. We love playing tricks on Emma and I usually play a trick or two on Eric. This year was a very mild one. We barely managed the night before to come up with a couple things to do to Emma, but it was minimal. We tied her door to the bathroom door so that she wouldn't be able to open her door very far in the morning. It was tied with a slipknot though, so if she really pulled she could get out, but not without effort. Also, we put some food coloring on her toothbrush (luckily it already had blue bristles so it disguised the food coloring) so her mouth turned blue when she brushed in the morning.
And finally, for your viewing pleasure, a fabulous picture of Emma. Our camera has a fishbowl effect that we were playing around with, and I got this shot of her. It makes me laugh every time I see it. Maybe it's odd that I didn't get pictures of any of the holidays this month, but I did get this one of Emma. Oh well. That's just how we roll I guess. =)









1 comment:
Sorry she got sick and missed so much but it looks like she has managed to squeeze in some good times as well. Your table came out great! I was way too chicken to sign up for that. The Brewers pic is super cute too. We went 2 days later but we lost. And I am happy to see Eric wearing Brewers gear against Colorado. Perhaps we can turn him in to a cheesehead after all.
Post a Comment