Sunday, August 11, 2013

Attempted Vacation pt.2

We came home along a slightly longer, but more scenic route.  We decided to drive through the night again so we could arrive at Mount Rushmore in the morning when the light hits it the best.  I admit to looking for Cary Grant the entire time we were there.  =)  But even though we didn't see him, it was fun seeing the monument in person.  Very impressive.

 photo IMG_0887.jpg
Emma enjoyed much more room on the return trip.  She could actually spread out on the back seat!  Much nicer.

 photo IMG_0900.jpg

 photo IMG_0932.jpg

 photo IMG_0924.jpg
The focus is not on her, but this is Emma trying to be a part of the monument.

Then we went to Badlands National Park.  This was fabulous!  So beautiful.  The most amazing part was when we first arrived.  You drive along and all around you as far as you can see is this wonderful prairie grass, like this:

 photo IMG_0978.jpg

 photo IMG_0983.jpg

Then suddenly and without warning, you come upon views like these:

 photo IMG_0984.jpg

 photo IMG_0991.jpg

 photo IMG_1002.jpg

I would love to go back when we have more time and do some hiking there.  Also maybe not in the middle of the summer. 

 photo IMG_0980.jpg

 photo IMG_1027.jpg
Emma's favorite thing there was seeing all the prairie dogs.  There were so many of them!
We heard them squeaking to each other.  Way too cute!
We drove further and found a place to stay overnight and were very ready to sleep.  The next day we finished our drive without any problems.

On our way, we wandered off the beaten path a little to visit Walnut Grove, MN to see some Laura Ingalls stuff.  On our way there we saw magnificent farmland.  Just amazing. 

 photo IMG_1052.jpg

 photo IMG_1071.jpg

 photo IMG_1073_2.jpg

 photo IMG_1090.jpg

 photo IMG_1123.jpg
Wading in Plum Creek

 photo IMG_1116.jpg

 photo IMG_1119.jpg

We finally arrived home late that night, after a long drive, including a quick stop to see our state capitol.  The building is really pretty lit up at night.  

 photo IMG_1137.jpg
At a rest stop Eric found this little frog and let Emma hold him.
 photo IMG_1138.jpg

I loved being with my family.  They are amazing.  I always have a good time with them.  Never enough of it though.  And it was wonderful getting together with some of my dear friends.  I hope to come back to visit again soon!

4 comments:

Cara said...

We had a family vacation in the badlands as well this summer. Had we timed it better, we could have met up. :)

Seth and Julie said...

You got some really pretty nature pictures. We loved Mount Rushmore and want to go back to explore the area a bit more.

Jill said...

The Badlands look amazing! I love the open prairie land too. I'm glad Emma liked Mt. Rushmore, I have never been! You guys are so nice to have filled your car with hand-me-downs for Eliza. Emma was so cramped I feel bad! Glad you had an adventurous trip home.

Cheryl said...

That became my favorite route between utah and wisconsin over the past few years and the summer of 2011 when we stopped at Walnut Grove and then De Smet and slept in the bunk house on the Ingalls homestead, then visited Mount Rushmore has become one of my favorite vacation memories