Friday, August 9, 2013

Our Best Attempt at a Family Vacation pt.1

The plan was to go visit my family sometime this past Spring, probably just Emma and me.  I just missed them all and wanted to go.  But by Christmas when we learned that 3 babies would be joining my family in May, June, and July, we decided to push our trip back until the summer so we could meet these new little ones.  I'm so glad we did!  I very nearly "borrowed" them all to bring home with me.  Unfortunately their stupid parents didn't like that idea very much.  Grrr.  But I loved seeing them all (and everyone else in the family, along with some of my dear friends) while we were in town.

I say this was an attempt at a vacation because Eric had to work much of the time we were there.  His job is nightmarishly busy right now, and had there not been an office branch where he could work he might not have been able to come.  Phew!  He did manage to have fun and visit with my family, but just not as much as he would have liked.  

We had a bunch of stuff to take to my sister, so we decided to drive rather than fly.  And because we're stupid we decided to try driving straight through without stopping, and just switch off drivers.  Um, yay!  It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  My family didn't know we were doing that (why make them worry about us staying awake?), so we surprised them when we arrived earlier than expected.  Always a fun thing to do.  

 photo IMG_0570.jpg
Poor thing, didn't have as much space as she'd like on the way. 
 photo IMG_0572.jpg

My aunt and uncle have an apartment downtown where they stay whenever they're in town (they live in Hawaii), and they let us stay there while we were in town.  It was really nice having our own place and not feel like we were barging in on anyone in my family.  Eric was able to borrow a car to take to work, so we each had our own set of wheels which was very convenient.

 photo IMG_0664.jpg
Our view from one of the balconies.
Eric had yet to see the new mall downtown, so we went there with my sister and her daughters and just wandered around.  Emma found an Isabella doll (from Phineas and Ferb) at the Disney store and fell in love.  She couldn't wait to get it home to join the rest of the cast that she has.

 photo IMG_0580.jpg
Eliza just seemed to adore Eric the entire trip.  She couldn't seem to get enough of him.  He loved it!
 photo IMG_0889.jpg


Time out.  Here is my sister's new little girl who wasn't in any of the above pictures because she was asleep the entire time we were at the mall.  Can you believe this little face?  It's just not possible to get enough of this face!

 photo IMG_1010.jpg

 photo IMG_1117.jpg
Seriously!  It's not possible to get enough of this cute little face!
 photo OwWffQ8Tx8OFhGeoND-y6ajx3Kh7NPYsihxCBNAji3EVrYDVV5lfVUAAjp8AGFTUlQ0G06NZCDnygRTKFpxdcs.jpeg

The evening we arrived in town my little brother's son (the last of the babies to come) was born.  He was a week overdue, and we were so excited to be there when he arrived!  We went to the hospital the next day to meet him.

 photo IMG_0588.jpg

 photo IMG_0773.jpg

 photo IMG_0774.jpg
This cutie is such a mellow little guy.  It was so fun to hold him and just stare at the perfection!
My older brother and family were out of town until Sunday when we all got together, and it was so wonderful to see all of them and meet his new son who was about 2 months old.  

 photo IMG_0633.jpg
I love the look on Emma's face here.  Luke was crying and she was like, "Uh, little help please."

 photo IMG_0641.jpg

 photo IMG_1397.jpg

 photo IMG_0657.jpg
Ice Cream time!

We just happened to be in town for the Pioneer Day parade.  I am not especially a parade person.  Never have been.  The idea of camping out overnight or standing around in the hot sun trying to see through the crowds just to see some goofy float pass by has never appealed to me, even as a kid.  But, since we were in town, and happened to be staying right along the parade route with a perfect view of everything from one of our balconies, Emma and I decided to just stay and see what the hype was about.  Meh.  I did enjoy cheering along with Emma any time the pooper scooper truck drove past picking up after the horses (not that they could hear us from where we were).  Emma thought that was particularly funny.  We enjoyed dinner that night at my brother's house followed by some fireworks.  

 photo IMG_0686.jpg

 photo IMG_0716.jpg
Luke was such a snuggly baby.  I think he napped with Eric for over an hour.  

 photo IMG_0729.jpg

 photo IMG_0725.jpg
"Playing" with some ants.  I think I should feel sorry for the ants.

 photo IMG_0728.jpg
Throwing a ball.  Classic summer activity.

We decided to have my nephew Timothy come stay with us one night.  We picked him up and went to IN-N-OUT for dinner.  Yum!  I love their shakes.  The kids had tons of fun together.

 photo IMG_0735.jpg

 photo IMG_0738.jpg

 photo IMG_0744.jpg
While hanging out on the balcony, we had such a fun talk.  These two were talking about what it would be like to live in a city instead of the burbs,  and it was so fun listening to them.  It was also revealed that Timothy kinda likes torturing his sister.  I think I could've guessed that.  =)  Just an older brother doing his job.

 photo IMG_0750.jpg
In the morning we took some fun pictures.  My camera has a fishbowl effect, and the kids loved it!

 photo IMG_0754.jpg

While in town, we all went to have some family pictures taken.  It was well over 100 degrees almost the entire time we were there, with the one exception of the day we went for pictures.  It rained a little that day.  Just our luck.  But the pictures turned out wonderful.  The weather held just long enough.  This photo session was an anniversary present to my parents (they celebrated their 40th anniversary in April this year).  This isn't why we came to town, but it just happened to work out perfectly.  We took many of our own pictures afterwards, and as usual, have way more fabulous pictures of Emma than I know what to do with.  She is just the most photogenic person I've ever known.  If you'll permit me a moment to brag, I just can't get over how gorgeous she is.  I have no idea how she could possibly be mine!  This is why I love that she loves taekwondo so much and is learning how to defend herself and to be able to beat the crap out of people.  

 photo 2013-5973-2.jpg
Don't my parents have cute grandkids!

 photo IMG_0815.jpg
We told the girls to try to scowl for this picture.  I love that Eliza couldn't really stop smiling.

 photo IMG_0817.jpg
And I love how much they love each other.

 photo IMG_0851.jpg
Here's my beauty!
Our second Sunday in town we decided to walk over to see Music and the Spoken Word with Emma.  It was nice staying so close we didn't need to drive and worry about parking.  Since you're not allowed in to see the Tabernacle Choir until you're 8 years old, Emma's never seen them live.  Eric and I went many times to their concerts and broadcasts during the years my dad was in the choir, but of course, Emma never went.  And technically she wasn't 8 yet, but I felt okay taking her a month early.  During the summer with all the tourists in town, they do the broadcast from the conference center rather than the tabernacle, so there were tons of seats.  Emma really liked it.  She thought it was cool being in the room where general conference is held and seeing the pulpit in person.  Her expression upon entering the room showed how impressed she was with the size of the place.  You just don't get a feel for that from watching on TV.  

 photo IMG_0858.jpg

After the broadcast we wandered around Temple Square and enjoyed the grounds.  It's always so beautiful there.

 photo IMG_0877.jpg
I sure love these two!
Sadly, the time always comes to leave and come home.  Emma was depressed all day.  She cried after saying goodbye to everyone.  She misses my family and her cousins so much.  It's absolutely the hardest thing about having moved.  We love it here, but it kills us that we can't see family whenever we want.

Don't I have a cute family though?
 photo 2013-5973-34.jpg
My Parents
 photo IMG_7440.jpg
My older brother and his family
 photo IMG_1263.jpg
My sister and crew.
 photo IMG_1209.jpg
And my little brother with his family.

4 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

Before I even get to this post, I noticed that you added a family pic on your sidebar and it is gorgeous!

It looks like you managed to scrape together a great trip, even with Eric's work schedule. We have been in those shoes and it is silly because it is Seth's fam who lives in UT so I hang with them and then we move on to CA where there is no office to work from and he spends all his time with my fam, but you do what you gotta do, right? And look at all those babies. I would have attempted to kidnap one or two as well. Oh, and brag all you like, Emma is a beauty and just such a friendly and sweet girl too.

Holly said...

Thank you Julie!

Jill said...

I can believe Emma's yours! I think the same thing about our kids though. I look at Eliza and think, "How could she be mine she's so beautiful?" We can't express how much fun we had while you were here. Maybe sometime we can trade kids, I'll take Emma and you take one of mine! THe pics capture so many great moments. It was wonderful that you guys could meet Abby and the other babies.

Cheryl said...

Cute pictures. I really really love Emma's haircut. I know it's been a while but it is so darling and she is beautiful!