On friday night at about 1:00 am Emma came into our room having thrown up (lovely). She caught some kind of stomach virus, and she continued to vomit every 10-15 minutes all through the night. The next day, after she continued to vomit and not be able to hold down any liquids, we took her to the doctor's office where they confirmed the stomach bug, but gave few suggestions for treatment that we weren't already trying. I love paying money to be told something I already know. With the assurance that this would go away in 24 - 48 hours we came home and continued to try to get teaspoons full of liquid to stay in Emma. She developed a fever which worsened that night. A bath seemed to help bring it down a little, but that was about all we could do at home - she still couldn't keep anyting down...including Motrin. After a long night with very little sleep, we decided this morning we needed to take her to the hospital. Her fever came back, and she still couldn't keep liquids down. We were worried that she was very dehydrated. At the hospital they hooked her up to an I.V. and got some fluids in her system. They also gave her some medicine to help with nausea, and then we gave her some Motrin, which helped to bring her fever down to almost normal. After we came home Emma slept for awhile, but then her fever came back. This accompanied by her horrible diahrea and subsequent diaper rash (the worst I've ever seen - she was bleeding a little from being so sore) made for a very pathetic and sad little girl. It's never easy to see someone you love in pain, and this was/is the hardest thing I've ever had to see her go through. I hope her fever brakes tonight, and that she can start to eat some solids again tomorrow, which should help her diahrea. At least she's been able to keep some liquids down for now. It's been a long couple of days. Hopefully she'll be on the path to recovery soon. I hope none of you get this virus that's going around. It's not fun. My advice is to just stay home forever so you don't get sick. Or do what I plan to do and move to a private island somewhere and live without politics, social politics, and sickness (I'm still working out how to keep all illness from the island). Once I'm settled in I'll send everyone a post card, which I'll be able to do because I'll have a post office there. And get this, there'll be no lines. Sorry if this all seems very random, I'm desperately sleep deprived right now, and possibly somewhat dillusional. =) Here is a peek at the most pathetically miserable (yet still so so cute) girl ever.




4 comments:
Poor girl! Hope you feel better in the morning, Emma!
Oh, poor Emma! And you, too. I know how hard it is to be sleep deprived because of a sick child. I hope she's feeling better today, and that you don't have to go to the hospital again. Thank goodness for modern medicine, huh?
Janna told me last night about how Emma had been in the hospital and to keep you in our prayers. We're praying for you!
Oh Holly, Poor little Emma. I hope she's starting to feel better today. That's probably been rough on all of you. Let me know if there's anything I can do.
Post a Comment