Friday, September 4, 2015

Surprise Trip & Dad's 70th Birthday

My dad turned 70 this August!  To surprise him Emma and I flew out to celebrate with him.  Everyone had to keep it a secret for a month, which mostly entailed not telling any of the kids until just a day or two before.  Emma of course knew, but then she wasn't going to be seeing my dad and be able to spill the beans.  My mom and sister each told me they each almost said something, and I almost said something about doing something while we were in town, but luckily we all caught ourselves.  Emma survived her birthday phone call from my parents without saying anything either.  We were so excited!

We arrived in the evening, and my sister picked us up from the airport.  We hung out with her family that evening and stayed with them that night.  We went to a classic car show where the kids also got to sit in a medical helicopter and do various other activities.



Making fish faces before bedtime.


The next day I had lunch with some of my awesome friends who I don't get to see very often.  It was so great catching up with them.  Emma went with my sister and her oldest daughter up to Snowbird.  They rode the tram up and then hiked down.  Part of the hike down was a ride on the ski lift.  I was so happy Emma had a chance to go up into the mountains on this trip.  I didn't, and am always sad when I can't, but she got to go and had a great time.  Thanks Jilly!

Late that afternoon we went out to my brother's house where the party for my dad was being held.  We set up a bunch of balloons in the front yard and put up a poster the kids had decorated.  Emma added her note the night before.  Some of the youngest got a little crazy and drew over all of it - which I think makes it all the better!  Then Emma and I went inside to wait until my dad arrived.  After he arrived and greeted everyone else, they went around to the backyard.  That's when Emma and I ran out to see him.  Emma ran right up to him and gave him a hug and it was mid hug that my dad realized which grandchild it was, and the surprise of our visit really started to sink in.  There were tears, of course.  I can't believe we all actually kept it a secret!  The rest of the evening was spent eating and playing, with presents, a song from the grandkids, and a slideshow celebrating my dad's life thus far.  And all the grandkids were so cute in their matching shirts.  My dad likes to be called Papa, so we made him a shirt that says "Papa Snow" on it, and all the grandkids had shirts that said "Papa's Snowflakes" (Snow being my maiden name, if you didn't know that).  He really was overwhelmed - it was awesome!


I love the expression on my dad's face.  He's just realized it's Emma.



A few of us kids went in together and gave this book to my dad.  My sister put it together and ordered it.  It's full of pictures from his entire life so far.  It's a good size too - 11x14.  My dad loved it!
On Sunday we went to church with my sister and ate dinner at my brother's house.  It was fun to spend some time with his kids.  Emma has really missed her cousins.  She and her cousin Timothy are practically the same person based on their interests and likes.  They like the same toys, books, subjects, activities, etc.

The next day we went to the zoo with my mom and sister.  I've always loved Hogle Zoo.  It was fun to visit again.  We rode the train, carrousel, saw all the dinosaurs they have right now, and enjoyed some lunch.  Then my sister had to leave, but my sister-in-law Heather took her kids out of school after lunch and brought them up.  So we went around the zoo again with them.  Double the fun!

Had to take this one.  This is now, at 10 years old.
And just for fun, this is from 7 years ago when Emma was 3 years old.
I can't believe how big she is now!



That night my sister came over for dinner.  Emma just adores her girls (I do too).  And they love Emma.  They can't get enough of each other.  Whether they were drawing each other in chalk, eating popsicles, or watching a movie, they were right by each other.

Eliza posing next to the chalk drawing Emma did of her.  Not too shabby!


And Abby was too cute!  I think I could watch her eat a popsicle all day long.
She has the best cold faces and smily faces.

Tuesday we hung out with my sister again.  Can't get enough of that.  That night the entire family met at a park for dinner and to let all the grandkids play.  They had so much fun.  Late that night, about 10:00, I went over to my brother's house where I played games with my two brothers until 2:00am.  Because that's how we do. =)



Wednesday my dad spent the entire day with us.  We went to the U on the mountain (Go Utes!), Temple Square, had some lunch with my brother downtown, then went to the Capitol Building, the Daughter's of the Utah Pioneers Museum, the UofU campus, and the This is the Place Heritage Park to see the monument.

Suddenly she had her "game face" on.  Not sure why.

This wagon was used by Brigham Young when he entered the Salt Lake Valley.

On the west side of the This is the Place Monument, the two figures are Orson Pratt and
Erastus Snow, Erastus is the one standing (they were in a scouting party that entered the Salt
Lake Valley on July 21st, 3 days ahead of the main party of pioneers).  
Erastus Snow is my 3rd Great and Emma's 4th Great Grandfather.  
Our last day mostly entailed packing and having lunch with my parents and sister.  It always stinks saying goodbye.  Hopefully it won't be too long before we're able to visit again!

1 comment:

Jill said...

I may have to copy and paste this blog post! I'm working on mine as well for Dad's birthday. I can't tell you how excited and happy we all were that you were able to come visit! Both you and Emma! We missed Eric terribly. Our girls are like sisters! Eliza just adores Emma and we hope we get to see you back here very soon!