Thursday, January 15, 2009

Bad Grammar Anyone?

For some reason my family always harps on me for being some kind of grammar queen. I am, in fact, not a grammar queen. Shocking I know. I admit that I'm not perfect in this department. There are a couple things that people say that bug the crap out of me, but I've learned to live with it since I am one of only about 3 people who don't make this mistake. Don't worry, I make up for it elsewhere. I don't let (or try not to let) my family get away with it, but they do it even more just to bug me. Yes, you can feel the love we have for each other. What is this particular cardinal sin that most people commit? It's saying the word 'funner' rather than 'more fun'. Ouch. That hurt just writing it. For some reason this has stuck with me from my high school days. I don't remember most things any of my teachers told me, but this I do. And it bugs me. Now, I don't judge people who use it, because that would be judging EVERYONE, and would become tiresome and rather monotonous.

There are a few things people say that I do wonder about though. Have you ever heard someone say 'squozen'? Uch! You know the icky feeling you get and the spasms that follow when you kill a spider or something? Well, that just happened to me as I typed that word. But seriously, why do people think that is a word? How did that get started? But I digress from the real reason for this post.

Recently I've noticed that there is a grammatical error that I seem to make all the time. I don't know why I'm only noticing it now, but it's bothering me so so much. The word 'at' finds itself at the end of my sentences way more than it should (which is never), and I catch myself doing it, and want to stop! I just can't seem to see it coming until after it's slipped out there. Like I said before, I'm sure there are many many other similar mistakes that I frequently make (and I'm not asking for them to be pointed out by the way), but this one is now my focal point. So my apologies if you hear me use this word incorrectly. Just know that I am working on it.

4 comments:

Connie said...

I'll admit, I have slipped and ACCIDENTALLY said funner on occasion. But I really try not to, especially when writing/typing. Now that I know how much it irritates you I'll have to try harder not to use it around you...or maybe not. ; )

Holly said...

Like I said, no judgement on my part. And, maybe I'm outdated. It now seems to be art of the normal vernacular of the English language. I don't know that I'll cave though, even if it does make it into the dictionary someday.

Angela said...

The one that drives me nuts is when someone gets something off the internet and they say that got it "Offline". Shauna is guilty of this one...and I must admit I've slipped with it a time or two. You either got it "Online" or you got it "Off the internet." There's no way you can get it "offline" because then you are not connected to the internet!!! :)

Jill & Jared said...

One thing that drives me nuts? When people saying the prayer in church say "fer" instead of "for." Like we're thankful fer such and such...can't stand it! I used to correct everyone when they would say good instead of well. And using I or me incorrectly. But I've gotten better or should I say worse...I don't point it out anymore probably because I now do it!