Sunday, January 27, 2008

Your Daily Fix

Have you had your daily dose of the sun? A couple weeks ago in Primary the other councelor was giving her presidency message during opening excercises. She mentioned that she had seen her neighbor outside with their little boy, and how her neighbor had said they go outside everyday with their son for at least 15 minutes so he'll get the vitamin D from the sunlight that he needs. Now, this isn't a news flash that we need sunlight everyday to get vitamin D. We've all seen the pictures of people who suffer from Rickets, and we know vitamin D helps our bodies absorb calcium and maintain bone density. But the councelor went on to make the obvious spiritual thought. I have thought about it a lot since then (and not for the first time) and really love the sheer simplicity of it. Everyone knows about the basic primary answers to any and all church questions: read your scriptures, go to church, pray. But, they really are important. If they weren't, then a lot of people would have wasted a lot of time preparing and delivering lessons and talks about them. What a waste. Good thing it wasn't all for nothing. We do need to do these things. Everyday we not only need our dose of the sun, but we need our dose of the Son (did you catch that? I know - super tricky). But I love the comparison (and I do realize that I am not the first person to make this comparison - I've just been thinking about it lately). If we don't get our daily dose of the sun, it will be harder for our physical bodies to grow healthy and correctly. Without our daily dose of the Son through scripture study and prayer it will be harder for us to grow spiritually. New research shows that vitamin D may also help protect our bodies against chronic diseases such as cancer, type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, and autoimmune diseases. Getting our daily dose of spirituality helps protect us from sin and other bad choices that we could make. It helps us do the things we should do to increase our faith, and gain stronger testimonies, which will in turn help us to become more perfected, and it helps us avoid bad things. Who wouldn't want this kind of help. I know I couldn't get along without it.

1 comment:

Lani said...

I love this! Especially since I'm a huge proponent of getting sunlight and vitamin D exposure. And I love the scripture in the D&C that talks about the Lord being in the sun and the light of the sun. Great post!!