Sunday, April 26, 2009

Buttermilk Pancakes

For a while now we've enjoyed homemade buttermilk pancakes every Saturday morning. They are really good, and Emma loves it. She seems to know just from the fact that Eric is home in the morning that it's time for pancakes. And they're super easy. Seriously. Even Emma knows all the ingredients, and tells them to us as we make them. She loves to help pour all the ingredients into the bowl and then mix it. She watches some of them cook, but since she can't really be hands on with the griddle, she eventually leaves before they are quite finished. You should try these at least once, even if you're not a huge pancake fan. I've never craved pancakes, and usually order toast instead at breakfast restaraunts, but I love these. I've never minded pancakes either, and maybe it's just because of how much Emma loves it that I like them so much too. Either way, here's the recipe we use, straight out of the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book.

1 C flour *
1 T sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 beaten egg
1 C buttermilk
2 T cooking oil

* We use half whole wheat flour and half all purpose flour. It works really nicely, still gives you the lightness of white flour, but some of the health benefits of the whole wheat.

Combine the dry ingredients and set aside. In a separate bowl combine the wet indredients. Add egg mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just till moistened (batter should be lumpy). Add additional buttermilk to thin batter, if necessary. Pour batter onto a hot griddle according to the size pancake you want. Enjoy your yummy pancakes!

1 comment:

Lani said...

Mmmmm... I think I need to buy some buttermilk. :-)