Yesterday was great. The turkey was fabulous! I've never had such a moist turkey before. I'm telling you, brining is the way to go. You can brine and then cook your turkey however you normally do, but just add this step...you won't regret it. After an awesome dinner we all just played games. We had our Wii there too, so some of us played that too. Emma had a blast seeing everyone, helping with our games, and wathing movies. She also got to drink some rootbeer (normally she doesn't get soda), and snuck a few too many M&Ms. She wanted to stay overnight and cried a little when we told her we needed to go home. She just loves being around everyone so much.
I was wondering if any of you go out shopping on black friday? And I don't mean later in the day, I mean 4am or 5am. If you go, why? What is the pull? What is so great about getting no sleep, standing in long lines, dealing with huge angry crowds, and fighting for merchandise? I saw all the adds yesterday, and there wasn't anything that looked so fabulous that I had to go out and get it. I am highly in favor of not having these door buster sales at all. Of course that would never happen, but when you hear about people being trampled to death and women being trampled and then having a miscarriage, you gotta be wondering why anyone would want to encourage such behavior. And I know the stores don't want that happening, but since people are idiots and can't be stopped, the stores should stop offering what entices these people to crawl out of their holes. Dream on, I know.
On another note, have any of you seen the movie Errand of Angels? I have been told countless times that I should see it if for no other reason than it is about a red head who serves a mission in Austria (sound familiar?). Well, I don't generally like any of these churchy type movies (you know, Singles Ward, God's Army, etc.). I think they are stupid, and while sometimes slightly humorous, they are such a big waste of time. Errand of Angels came on TV yesterday, so I recorded it. That way I could watch it if I wanted and not have to waste any money doing it. I watched it tonight, and my ears are still hurting. I've never heard such bad German in my life!!! Even after her character was supposed to have better German I could hardly understand a word she said. Her accent was absolutely horrible, and her grammar wasn't much better. Some of the others had bad accents too. I won't say anything about my own German accent (you'll have to ask my companions, fellow missionaries, or husband for that report), but as for the sisters and elders I served with, their german was all much much better than represented in this movie. It was very cheesy like all movies of this type. The scenery was wonderful, and it was fun seeing many of the places I have been, but I should have watched it with the mute button on...I would have saved myself a huge headache. So if you speak German, this is my warning to you...beware the bad accents and grammar if you decide to watch this film. And for those of you who don't speak german, ignore the language, and relish in the beauty of the country. Austria is absolutely the most breathtaking place on earth.
Second Week of School
2 years ago

3 comments:
I watched that movie too and despite the fact that her German was ATROCIOUS, and she wore ridiculous clothing, I loved it! It was so similar to my mission experience. And did you know that chapel where they heard Silent Night is actually where it was written in Oberndorf?
I did recognize the Silent Night chapel. I guess the movie would have been better and more realistic for me if her hair had gotten caught in her umbrella. =) They did get the insane food portion size right!
Ummm... are you calling me an idiot? ;) No, really... go read my post from Monday (if you haven't already) and have a look see at why I go out in the early a.m. hours on Black Friday.
I'll have to try brining the turkey. I've heard about it on several people's blogs now. :)
Post a Comment