Yesterday my family got together for our own version of Oktoberfest. It started a couple years ago when Eric and I thought it would be fun to get together for some German food (he served in Germany and I served in Austria on missions). My family loved it, and so we've done it ever since. I know we're a little late compared to the real Oktoberfest which is celebrated in late September, but better late than never. Our menu was by no means complete, but it included Schnitzel, Bratwurst, Sauerkraut, Fondu, warm potato salad, and then we rounded out the German selections with some vegetables, green salad, and crackers. Don't forget the delicious apple crisp we had later for dessert.


After eating we started playing some games. The kids all had fun too.

Every October for as long as I can remember my family tries to watch a couple Halloween cartoons from when I was little. At the end of the evening we watched Garfield's Halloween. The grandkids (who were still awake) were very quick to snuggle with Papa and Grandma!
Thanks to John and Heather for hosting it this year, and thanks to everyone for bringing everything to make it a great night.
4 comments:
No Ligretto?? What a great idea -- I've been trying to get our family up to oktoberfest every year to no avail. Oh well ... at least my boys love spaetzle!! And I mean love ... Charlie asks for it!
How fun. That's a tradition I should incorporate in the future. We had some good times in Austria (see the comment I made on my blog in response to your last comment.)
I meant to bring my Ligretto, but forgot it. Each time we do this we do some different foods. We've made Spaetzle, Rouladen, and had Rotkohl among other things in the past. We always seem to have Bratwurst though...some of my family can't imagine an Oktoberfest without it.
That looks like so much fun! Adam and I were just talking about Halloween cartoons the other night with Clark. We all love the Mickey Mouse Halloween with the dancing skeletons...I am sure you know the one..if not give it a shot!
Post a Comment